20150103

#KNEONKID Shirley Yu

| |

Bomber Tie Jacket by NOT, $663. Long Play Shorts by NOT, $375. N147-D Crop Diag. Halter by NOT, $235



#KNEONKID Shirley Yu is a photographer, photo-director and photo-editor. Young and motivated, Shirley shares feelings about being a creative soul in NYC. In this shoot by Milo Selchaif, Shirley wears clothing by NOT.



What is the funnest part of what you do?

It’s really exciting to meet artsy and eclectic creatives, like designers. I grew up in the suburbs, so everything was ordinary. I’m really interested in individuals who are exceptional and extraordinary.

What is your biggest motivation as a photographer?

I grew up with the idea that I need to always be achieving at my highest potential, so my motivations are needing to compete with my own high expectations along with a deep-rooted fear of failure.




Crop Diag. Halter by NOT, $235

Do you have any habits that your friends know you for?

My friends know me for re-telling stories that I’ve told them before, because I’m so excited to tell a funny story that i tell everyone and then I forget who i’ve told my stories to!

When you aren’t shooting, how do you express yourself creatively?

I’m a photo director for a few publications (most heavily involved in Trim Magazine) so I’m producing and art-directing for a few college-age photographers that I’ve chosen to shoot for the publications I work with. Aside from shooting, I like being a photo editor, because it’s on the curatorial / commissioning side of the business, for a change.




Bomber Tie Jacket by NOT, $663. Long Play Shorts by NOT, $375. N147-D Crop Diag. Halter by NOT, $235

Your favorite place in NYC to spend a day off?

I like to bring my hometown friends to this ramen joint, Zen 6, when I ask them to hang out with me in the city! There’s no good spots for ramen in the suburbs, in New Jersey. Zen6’s TanTan6 ramen is super spicy so I really like to go to this place!

A song that really gets you ready to go

“Competition” by Bebe Panthere, she’s a friend of mine, and I really like this album!



Photographed by Milo Selchaif
Kid is Shirely Yu



#KNEONKIDS is our spotlight on creative young guns, the girls and boys next door with that crazy cool hobby, the ones in your life who that special ZING that make them oh so Facebook-stalkable. They have an array of interests and talents, dress anything but ordinary, and aren't afraid to dream big.

 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance