20141108

#KNEONKID Emily Oberg

| |
000010590033

Involving herself in all forms of art and inspiration, 20-year-old EMILY OBERG leaves us a little breathless. It's hard not to fall in love with someone so down to earth and #alwayscute.


You were born in Canada, and now based in NYC. What's 'home' to you?

A feeling. It's wherever the people you love are. You can feel at home with them no matter where you are in the world!


000010590034


People you love... What's the best date you've ever been on?

The best dates are the ones that don't start off as dates, when you're just hanging out with someone and then at some point you're like oh shit this is a date isn't it? That way, the interaction is natural and there is no pressure! But there is one date in particular that I will always remember. I once went on a date with this guy who lived above a record store which he worked at, and we were talking about music and I told him that one of my favorite songs of all time was "You're the best thing" by The Style Council. After I said that, he got up, ran downstairs, was gone for about 5 minutes, and came up with that record. I was stunned by how sweet of a gesture that was, it still makes me smile! Needless to say, I never saw him again for whatever reason, but that was a pretty good date!

000010590031


We noticed you L-O-V-E sneakers! What's the story there?

My dad has always been a sneakerhead so he is definitely the influence for that. He always made sure I had nice shoes and expressed the importance of having good shoes. When I was younger, I wasn't so much into sneakers as I am now. But as you get older, you become more and more like your parents and take the advice they gave you. 

Artistically — what are the differences you've noticed between Canada and USA?

I would say that the U.S is much more artistic just because the population is so much more dense. People come from all over the world and live here, especially New York, so you see that international influence in a lot of different aspects of art and design. In Canada, there are definitely a handful of good artists and designers but it is few and far between. The aesthetic is usually inspired and derivative of nature too, because the outdoors is so abundant there. It's not my particular aesthetic but I can appreciate it.

000010590027

You work across many different mediums, what draws you to each art form?

I like to be expressive in as many different forms of art as I can, because there are some things you can only express in one area, so you need to have a variety of platforms. What draws me to painting is the fact that it's so abstract and you can create something out of nothing, water color enables you to apply what's in your mind, onto a piece of paper in the form of different lines, shapes, faces, colors etc. It's a good release. Music—which is my favorite form of expression, allows you to provoke a feeling out of someone else, and when you DJ, you can see that feeling really come through and come to life. I think one of the best high's I have ever experienced is when people are dancing and having fun to the sounds I've selected. Styling is great because it basically allows you to play dress up but on someone else, having someone be your doll for the day is pretty fun and you can put them in something that you might not otherwise wear yourself. And writing is important for me because it allows me to express myself in a really direct way. Whenever something monumental happens in my life, I just write non-stop until I have nothing left to say or think. It's really helpful when you're mind is running wild and I find it sentimental to look back and see exactly what you were thinking at that particular moment in your life.


What do you do when you're stuck for inspiration?

Spend hours endlessly looking at photos and finding new music.

The difference between high school Emily Oberg and 2k14 Emily Oberg?

[Laughs] I was much less sure of myself than I am now. I really had no hobbies up until I graduated high school. That's when I really found myself and started applying myself toward the things that I had an interest in. At this age, I am much more aware of who I am and what I want from myself and out of life. I'm happier!

We love the mix you put together for KNEON, 2000s R&B — it's been playing all the time! What music gets you in the zone?

Thanks! I had so much fun making that, I don't really ever mix rap or R&B so that was different for me, but no less fun! In the zone... depends on what 'zone' that is. If it's a zone to create, I usually like deep house and nu disco because there are a lot of layers to it and it makes you think. If it's a zone for working out... I like trap or rap, really ignorant stuff gets me going and makes me work harder!


Photographed by Aimee Han
Kid is Emily Oberg

Listen to Emily's 2000s R&B Mix for KNEON here:



#KNEONKIDS is our spotlight on creative young guns, the girls and boys next door with that crazy cool hobby, the ones in your life who that special ZING that make them oh so Facebook-stalkable. They have an array of interests and talents, dress anything but ordinary, and aren't afraid to dream big.



 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance